Friday, August 13
My Summer in Europe
In June of 2008 I went on a trip with my Aunt to Europe. We went to different countries (Scotland, England, France, the Netherlands) and I did my best to journal every day about what we did and what I saw. This post is similar to my last post, in that I found something I had written that was kind of fun to read. I made a list of all of the "firsts" that I could think of that I had experienced on the trip. Reading it again makes me want to go back and do all of those things a second time.
My first time:
- Being in another country.
- Traveling on a tram, a train, a cab, a double-decker bus.
- Having a Margarita [and to this day it was the best one I've yet to taste].
- Inside a pub - and much more: a Scottish pub.
- Eating anchovies, veal, lamb, duck, and escargo.
- Having a Croque Madame.
- Bicycling through a countryside that resembled the countryside seen in many famous paintings.
- Seeing famous paintings and sculptures up close and personal.
- Going to a Dutch church service, which was surprisingly very similar to my home church in Richmond.
- Going to an internet cafe.
- In a royal castle and palace.
- Seeing Van Morrison in concert - and it was in the Hampton Courts Palace :]
- Shopping in foreign grocery stores, street markets, and even department stores.
- Getting lost (which turned out to be a very rewarding experience).
- Looking through pet stores and plant stores in Paris.
- Seeing magnificent greenhouses.
- Hiking up a mountain.
The list could go on for miles. I have so many beautiful memories.. even the not-so-good memories are beautiful to me because I can see now how the Lord used those instances to draw me into closeness with Him.
Blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
Whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
Have you been to a foreign country? What were some firsts that you experienced there?